A Returns Policy is a part of the Delivery, Return and Refund Policy, which details the conditions under which a customer may return goods purchased online.
Its importance cannot be stressed enough. According to recent studies, over 60% of customers review a Return Policy before they purchase a product.
Customer may have a variety of reasons for wishing to return a product they purchased from you, and it may not necessarily be your fault. Some of the reasons may include:
- The customer decided that he/she does not need the product anymore;
- The product did not match the customer’s expectations;
- The customer did not order the correct size or number;
- The company shipped the wrong product, size or number.
Regardless of the reason the customer has to return a product, you need to be prepared to address such situations.
A proper Returns Policy will provide the following information to your customers:
- What type of items are eligible for a return;
- What type of recourse may the customer receive (refund, replacement or repair);- Who will cover the postage expenses of returning the item(s);
- The maximum period within which a customer may claim a return.
Whilst you can decide upon yourself what the conditions of eligible returns will be, certain jurisdictions require minimum consumer protection obligations, which are non-negotiable.
Within the EU, customers have 14 days to return a product without giving any reason to the seller.
In the US, different rules apply depending on the State you operate from. For example in California, if you do not have a Return Policy on your website or mobile app, the customer may return a product within 30 days.
Of course, you may wish to allow longer periods for return, however you should always consider the minimum term required by law.
A properly drafted Delivery, Return and Refund Policy will cover all these requirements, and inform your customers in a clear and easily accessible of your Return rules.
Lege Nova may provide you with a customPolicy, depending on the specific needs of your online platform.
You can contact us here to request a quote, or sign up for Free Legal Consultation.